Monday, 17 May 2010

Featured Designer - Etsy Cerra



Hello to Cerra, postcard designer, mum, student, and Etsy shop owner: EtsyCerra from Ontario, Canada.

Cerra started designing postcards five years ago after being involved in an online postcard exchange. She became disheartened by the abundance of generic, scenic postcards that were available and after making a few of her own fell in love with the process. Cerra is now involved in Postcrossing.com - a project that allows anyone from around the world to receive postcards from around the world.

As if that wasn't enough, Cerra also create intricately detailed felted toy food.

How does Cerra manage to juggle it all? We asked her some questions to find out:

K&B: What's your name and where do you come from?
C: Cerra, pronounced the same as Sarah! A tiny town in Ontario welcomed me back in '84, shortly after I was brought to the east coast of Canada and, though I've been away a lot, I always find my way back here.

K&B: How did you get into making and designing?
C:My whole family is pretty crafty. My nan and great-nanny are/were big into crocheting and knitting and also creating with plastic canvas. My ma and I used to do craft projects most weekends, it seems, she also used to knit a lot. I was bitten by the photography bug in the mid/late 90s (a 1.3 megapixel camera was my grade 9 graduation present - $600!), along with painting during junior high thanks to an amazing art teacher who encouraged me during a pretty dark time in my life. The feelings that came from creating have been a reliable source of comfort throughout the years.



K&B: Where do you get your inspiration from?
C: These days, it's my son, Clive, definitely. I really want to pass along the creative side of life to him and I try to lead by example as much as I can. Plus, he loves to look at my photography and play with the felt food I make. I'm always striving to give him more to look at and play with.

K&B: What makes your products different?
C: They're made by me and usually constructed with a sleeping toddler on my lap!

K&B: What do you enjoy most about being a part of Etsy?
C: When something sells, it definitely gives a confidence boost. It's also cool to know that my work has the potential to be seen by so many people!

K&B: What are your favourite websites for inspiration?
C: I don't spend a ton of time online anymore, but I'll go with Twitter. My account there EtsyCerra is 90% used to connect with other people on Etsy and their passion rubs off on me!

K&B: Can you describe your typical day?
C: My son wakes me up, usually early than I'd like, shortly after that he wakes my husband. On a calm day I'm able to get in a little bit of crafting before my husband goes to work. When my son is awake I focus mostly on him and keeping the house in order. During his naps, which are spent on my lap or beside me, I catch up on emails, study for university or craft. Afternoons are park/errand time, evenings I try to get some crafting in once my son is asleep and before I head to bed myself.



Since my husband doesn't work on the weekend I try to find time retreat to the office and craft or study, so he and my son to have their own time. My son is my number one priority and I try to enjoy the time I have with him now. Soon he'll be too old to want to spend time with me and I don't want to look back and go, "Wow, I really could've waited to focus so much energy elsewhere."

K&B: What's the most embarassing thing you've ever done?
C: Oh boy. Opening my mouth on a daily basis can end up being pretty embarrassing! Seriously, though...when I was a little girl, my family went to the beach, my uncle was in a Speedo and I grabbed his front, loudly asking "What's this?!" The story still gets told to this day.

K&B:Do you have any hints/tips or advice for other Etsy sellers?
C: Set your goals high, promote, persevere and keep your expectations realistic. There are so many sellers, which means a lot of competition, and as a result it can be hard to get noticed. Do what you're doing out of love and the rest is sure to follow!


Many thanks to Cerra for being a featured designer.

If you are interested in being interviewed for Kicking & Biting please just drop me a line (use the 'contact' tab above).

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails